Named Hoping John, not Hoppin’ John, hoping mine is better than all the thousands of variations of this recipe. Unique name to stand out a unique dish, but based on a description I read, mine is closer to the original than most. A good dish to cook when your not home to cook.
- 1 lb. pkg dried black eyed peas
- 1 pablano pepper, diced (about 3/4 c)
- 1 sm onion, diced (about 1 cup)
- 1 c. celery, diced
- 1-2 tbsp minced garlic
- 2 tbsp House Seasoning
- 1 tbsp McCormicks beef base
- 2 c. Mahatma long grain rice
- 1 pkg salt pork cut in half, 2 inch strips
- 8 c. water, add water as peas and rice absorb as needed
- 2 tsp. huy fong sriracha hot chili sauce
- 1 can Hatch diced tomatoes with green chilies
- 1 bag frozen turnip greens with turnips
In a slow cooker combine (if you don’t have one I use Crock Pot brand for the best results and reliable cooking); dried peas, salt pork, beef base, water. Stir together and cook on low for 6 hours or overnight. Before you leave for work in the morning add the following items that you prepared the night before: pablano, onion, celery, hot sauce, rice, tomatoes, house seasoning, and turnip greens, cook till rice and peas are tender, probably another 6-8 hours hours max. Will be done when you get home, caution to over cooking, it could make rice too soggy.